Sunday, October 21, 2012

Module 5: MVMs

Looks like I jumped the gun last week when I commented about the best practices in the Subject Lines in a threaded discussion. I don't like the technique of starting the response in the subject line and finishing it within the text of the message. It is something that I may try; however, likely something I will not choose to keep in the my tool kit.

Changing the subject line of a reply in a discussion posting (and in an email) is someithing I need to which I need to pay more attention. I am usually pretty good about changing the subject line when I change the subject, but I don't always think to change it when I am replying directly to the question. Actually, I don't think the it is actually necessary if my response (re:) is directly related to the subject line.

This week was (still is) my turn as guest facilitator for the discussion. I selected a question to which I believed the other participants would reply using the assumption that the student was in the right class but was being negative about taking the class. It was my plan to present the other side of the scenario--the student really is in the wrong class. When students self-advise they often end up in the wrong class or don't know about the challenge tests or substitutions.

Decorative imageI enjoyed working as the facilitator, but I am concerned about overstepping the boundaries of the assignment. For example, when I posted the scenario I also gave instructions. The activity instructions did not tell me to do that; however, it made sense that I should give some instruction as if I were talking to my own students about their assignments. I was following a discussion on deleting messages to see if anyone would question the practice. This must have been an issue that had particular impact on Kay as she addressed it quickly. I thought this was a little out of character for her and that is why I ventured the guess that she has some experience with altered or missing messages.

I think I may have posted too many messages. My thinking on this was that, since there was no other discussion this week, I should be interacting with the material as well as moving the group along.

I also decided that the group had done a fine job of beating up the scenario I posted and that they should be able to post a question that had meaning to them. I thought it might be a risk, but I was rewarded when Kay sent me a kind note stating that is was  appropriate.

Friday was professional development day at Bellevue College and I attended a seminar on UDL and one on cultural awareness in online classes. They were both very well done. Using the checklist on UDL I was pleased to see that I was hitting over 75% of the principles of good design, but I have plenty of room for growth. In the cultural awareness class I connected with one of our new tenure candidates that wants to pick my brain and share ideas on designing online classes. I felt honored.

What things will I take with me from this week?
  • Remember to change the subject line of a reply with I change the subject.
  • Make sure that my precourse emails are warm and welcoming.
  • I can't stop students from griping, so I need to direct their energies in more positive directions that benefit the students and help me improve my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment