Friday, October 5, 2012

Module 2: Most Valuable Learning Moments (MVMs)

Module 2 was focused on social constructivist learning theory and personality instruments.

Beaumie Kim offers this explanation of Social Constructivism: Social constructivism emphasizes the importance of culture and context in understanding what occurs in society and constructing knowledge based on this understanding (Derry, 1999; McMahon, 1997).

We explored social constructivist learning theory and looked at personality instruments that could be used to create high functioning groups. I learned how even some of the shorter personality assessment instruments can deliver meaningful results. We discussed the importance of stressing to students that these instrument are used to improve communications and not to pigeon hole students.  I was fascinated by the discussions of the impact of culture in constructivism. This discussion will help me be a more effective online instructor by increasing my understanding of how adults learn and giving me more options for creating better functioning student teams.

I posted Teaching Perspectives Inventory and took several of the assessments that were posted by my group members.
The results from each instrument added to my self knowledge and made me question how I might better present myself to my peers and students.

References:
Kim, B. (n.d.). Social constructivism. (M. Orey, Editor) Retrieved October 1, 2012, from Emerging Perspectices on Learning, Teaching, and Technology: http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Social_Constructivism

No comments:

Post a Comment